Many couples get divorced through the process of litigation. This means that a New York judge will make decisions on the couple’s behalf. In this case, a judge is working hard to make decisions that are fair to both parties, but, you may not agree with the outcome. In this case, you can file an appeal. Read on to learn more about appealing a decision made by a New York judge during a divorce.

What matters can be appealed?

During a divorce, a judge may make decisions about matters of child custody, child support, alimony, the division of assets, and more. You may be able to appeal these decisions if you believe that the judge has abused his or her power or made an erroneous decision. But, you will need the help of an experienced divorce attorney. This is because the process can be long and expensive, so it is important that you heavily consider all of your options. Be sure to do your research and confer with an attorney before taking steps toward an appeal.

How long do I have to file an appeal?

If you do decide to file an appeal, you will have to act fast- Once the final order has been served, you will only have 30 days to file your appeal. Our firm is here to walk you through every step of the process.

What documents do I need in order to file?

In order to file an appeal, you will need to obtain the following documents:

  • Request for Appellate Division Intervention Form (RADI)
  • Notice of Appeal
  • A copy of the order you wish to appeal
  • A receipt from the Postal Authorities of mailing to your adversary

What is post-judgment action?

Our lives change drastically over the years. As a result, the decisions made during your divorce may no longer work down the line. In this case, you can request a post-judgment modification. To do so, you will have to prove that your circumstances have changed drastically and permanently in order to warrant the appeal.

If you are interested in appealing a decision made during your divorce, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with an experienced attorney.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.