When agreements are made regarding matters of divorce and family law, they need the court’s approval. If it is given, a court order can be issued to make these agreements the law. This means they must be followed, otherwise a person is in breach of the court order. When this happens, there are ways that it can be enforced. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York attorney for assistance.

When is a Court Order Violated?

In the state of New York, there are many different types of court orders that can be issued in relation to divorce or family law. This can include child custody, child support, visitation, alimony payments, and equitable distribution of property. If one party does not follow the rules set out in the order, it is considered a violation. This may happen in the event of the following:

  • The child’s other parent is not following a visitation plan
  • Child support or alimony payments are not being made
  • The former spouse is disobeying court orders regarding the division of property
  • Penalties for contempt of court/Being accused of contempt of court

How is a Court Order Enforced?

If a former spouse or parent does not adhere to the court order, there are different ways to try and handle the situation. First, it can be beneficial to try and speak to them on your own in order to get them to hold up their end of the agreement. However, this is easier said than done. If they still choose to ignore the order, it can be legally enforced by the court. This process can begin by filing a complaint with the court. Individuals who continue to choose to violate the order can be held in contempt of court and face a variety of consequences. This can include the following:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Property liens
  • Suspension of drivers’ licenses
  • Temporary receivership
  • Imprisonment

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.