Due to the financial stress brought upon by the Coronavirus, President Trump signed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) into law. This is a $2 trillion stimulus package that will be distributed to provide assistance during this time. While the government is calculating the size of the check based on the adjusted gross income listed on the taxpayer’s most recent tax returns, most adults should expect a one time payment of $1200. Married couples can receive up to $2400. Couples with children under 17 at the end of the tax year will receive $500 for each child.

Individuals going through, or have previously gone through, a divorce may have many questions pertaining to these payments. Continue reading below to learn more.

If I Have a Pending Divorce Case, Who Gets the Stimulus Check?

Trying to divide assets between a couple during a divorce is difficult enough under normal circumstances. It is important for those facing these situations to know that the new stimulus check will go to the bank account that was provided to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in their most recent tax return. If the last tax return was a joint return with their spouse, the individual should retain the services of an experienced New York divorce attorney for guidance regarding their options.

How Can Child Custody or Support be Impacted?

Navigating child custody and child support during this time of the Coronavirus can be complicated, as people’s physical and financial circumstances may have changed. This can raise questions regarding where the stimulus check goes as well. It is important to know that the person who filed as head of household on the tax returns will receive the check. If the couple filed jointly and listed their minor children, or if their custody arrangement has changed since the return was filed, a skilled family law attorney should be contacted for assistance.

When dealing with child support, the normal federal rules are still in effect. This means that state child support agencies must report past-due child support. If a parent is not paying their share of child support during this time, it is possible for their stimulus check to be intercepted by the state and given to the custodial parent so that it is applied to their outstanding balance.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.