Alternative Methods of Divorce in New York | What to Know
A divorce can be a long and stressful process, but there are ways to make it easier. For example, there are a number of benefits to divorcing outside of the court. Read on to learn more about alternative methods of divorce and some of the potential advantages.
What matters are addressed during a divorce?
When it comes to a divorce, there are a lot of matters to resolve. Many couples will have to determine:
- Child custody
- Child support
- Spousal support
- Division of assets
How can these matters be addressed?
- Litigation takes place through a New York court. During this process, a judge will make decisions regarding the matters of your divorce.
- Mediation takes place outside of the court. This process involves a neutral third party helping the couple find creative solutions.
- Arbitration is similar to mediation in that it takes place outside of the court and involves a neutral third party. But, in this case, the third party can act as a judge and make decisions on behalf of the couple.
- Collaborative divorce
- A collaborative divorce involves each member of the couple obtaining an attorney. Then, a series of four-way meetings take place between the couple and their attorneys. Additionally, expert witnesses may be called in.
What are the benefits of settling a divorce outside of court?
There are a number of benefits when it comes to settling a divorce outside of court:
- Control: Spouses have control over making their decisions. The decisions are in their hands.
- Confidentiality: The information shared in this process cannot be discussed with anyone else or used against either spouse. Additionally, decisions made through the court can become public record.
- Speed: The process takes only as long as couples need to settle the issues they have to resolve.
- Cost: These methods are often more cost-effective, as trials can be expensive for both the couple and the state.
- Choice: Settling outside of the court is voluntary, as spouses have the choice to participate.
- Family: These processes facilitate healthy and open conversations, which can benefit any couple that has family involved.
If you are getting divorced in New York, our firm is here to help. We will walk you through the process every step of the way.
Contact our Firm
The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.