When a couple’s marriage is no longer working, they may consider the process of divorce. Of course, this is an incredibly emotional and complex process for both parties to endure. In a divorce, couples may have to address relevant issues, including equitable distribution, spousal maintenance, and matters related to the children. Divorces can become incredibly complicated when one party serves in the military, owns a business, or has a high net worth. Some couples do not wish to get divorced but still choose legal separation for a number of reasons. While enduring such a complicated and emotional time, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you and protect your interests. If you are considering divorce or separation, contact a Rockland County divorce attorney at The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC to schedule a consultation.
Divorce Attorney | Serving Clients in Rockland County & throughout NYS
There are few legal processes more personal than divorce. Unfortunately, as you may know, divorce is more than a legal process: it’s also an emotional and financial one. For this reason, you need to hire an attorney who is not only experienced and highly skilled, but also compassionate and who sees you on a human level. Our legal team is dedicated to helping all those facing divorces here in Rockland County, and we’re prepared to help you as well.
Our Divorce Services
The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC proudly handles a wide range of divorce-related issues on behalf of our clients, including the following:
- Contested Divorce: When a couple can’t agree on the terms of their divorce, such as those involving spousal support, child custody, child support, and more, they are in what’s referred to as a contested divorce. Unfortunately, these divorces are often more contentious and often go to trial. No one should go through a contested divorce without a knowledgeable Rockland County divorce lawyer in their corner.
- Uncontested Divorce: Even if you and your spouse can agree on the terms of your divorce, you should strongly consider hiring a lawyer who can help you through the document-heavy process. Our firm can help ensure your divorce is valid and enforceable in the eyes of the law, and we can also quickly pivot and come to your aid if your divorce takes a turn and becomes contested.
- Divorce Process: The divorce process can be a long and arduous one. Our firm has guided countless clients through each step of this process in the past, and we’re here to do the same for you. Don’t make the mistake of hiring just any attorney to represent you; hire a divorce lawyer from The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC.
- Alimony: Many divorcing spouses here in New York require spousal maintenance, also referred to as alimony, after their divorce is finalized. However, as you can imagine, alimony is among the most hotly-contested divorce-related issues, so no matter what side you’re on, you’ll need an attorney who can effectively advocate for your best interests.
- Property Distribution: New York courts abide by the process known as equitable distribution, which means that when couples can’t agree on who is entitled to certain types of property in a divorce, the court will equitably distribute property between the spouses. “Equitable” does not mean “equal.” Instead, “equitable” relates more to what the judge considers a fair and just distribution of property.
- Post-Judgment Modification: If you completed your divorce months or years ago, you may find that the divorce agreement you reached then no longer reflects where you are in life as of now. In cases where a person can prove that there has been an unforeseen and significant change, they may qualify for a post-judgment modification to their initial divorce agreement.
- Legal Separation: If you’re looking to formally separate from your spouse but you don’t want to get divorced due to religious reasons, healthcare, or otherwise, our firm is here to help.
- Divorce with a Business: Business owners going through the divorce process have a lot to consider, especially since, in many cases, their business is their largest and most important asset. Never face a divorce involving a business without a seasoned attorney in your corner.
- High Net Worth Divorce: When couples have assets worth more than $1 million, they are considered to be in a “high net worth” divorce. With so much on the line, it’s paramount you proceed only with experienced legal counsel who can help you protect what’s yours.
- Military Divorce: Divorce involving members of the United States military is often more complex than more “standard” civilian divorces. Our legal team has helped clients navigate this process for decades, and we are prepared to do the same for you.
- Prenuptial Agreements: Drafting a prenuptial agreement with your future spouse is perhaps the best way to protect your assets from the pitfalls of a divorce. That said, it’s imperative this document is drafted and executed in accordance with the law. Without an attorney, you run the risk of creating a document that is neither valid nor enforceable, should you ever decide to get divorced.
- Divorce Mediation: Mediation is often a more peaceful and efficient way to resolve a divorce. If you would like to hire a competent divorce mediator or learn more about how one can help you, look no further than Jameson Family Law.
If you’re facing any of the aforementioned issues, you can count on us to provide you with the quality of legal services you deserve and need. We know this is a stressful time in your life, and we are prepared to guide you through it, ensuring the process moves along as smoothly as possible.
Contact a Seasoned Divorce Attorney Today
The bottom line is that if you need a competent Rockland County divorce attorney in your corner, you’ve come to the right place. Contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson today to schedule your initial consultation with our seasoned legal team. We’re here to listen to your story and your goals, and from there, fight to make those goals a reality.