dad holding his adorable son

Rockland County Child Visitation Attorney

When parents get divorced, the whole family can feel the effects of the split. When one parent is granted sole legal custody, the child’s relationship with important family members may be seriously diminished. Matters related to children are understandably some of the most contentious issues in a divorce. As emotions run high and a family member is in jeopardy of losing a relationship with a child, it is essential to have effective legal representation. The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC has years of experience fighting for parents and other close family members when they want to defend their relationship with a child. If you require strong legal representation because you believe that your rights are being violated, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation with an experienced Rockland County child visitation attorney.

Sole legal custody and visitation

Sole legal custody is a rarity. For most, a shared legal custody arrangement will be established, allowing both parents to make the important decisions regarding a child’s life. When sole legal custody is awarded, some family members can request visitation rights from the court if they believe that their rights are being violated. In these rare cases, the noncustodial parent must take legal action to protect his or her rights to parenting time.

Order for Visitation

Often, entire families are impacted by a custody arrangement. Certain extended family members facing a hostile custodial parent may request visitation rights as well. These include grandparents, siblings, and step-siblings. The request alone is not enough for the court to grant access to the child. The extended family members must be able to establish that by withholding access to the child and not providing the child with the positive, loving relationship he or she is accustomed to, the custodial parent was not acting in the best interests of the child.  Unfortunately, there are family members not able to request visitation rights. In New York, other family members including aunts, uncles, cousins, and stepparents are not eligible to apply.

Contact a Rockland County child visitation attorney

Divorce can be devastating. It can rip apart families and leave a child without the ones he or she loves. No one wants a divorce to deeply impact a child’s life, but when emotions run high, it is easy to lose sight of what matters. Maintaining a child’s familial life is important. When facing a hostile custodial parent, it is important to consider your options. If you are a noncustodial parent, grandparent, sibling, or stepsibling, contact our firm.  An order for visitation can allow you to maintain a meaningful relationship with a child. If you are interested in knowing more about the process of requesting visitation rights, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Recent Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by