When a couple gets divorced, there are a number of matters to work through. This may include child custody, child support, and alimony. But, lives change, issues arise, and sometimes, these arrangements no longer work. If this is the case, you may need to request a post-judgment modification. Read on to learn more.

What Can be Modified in New York?

There are various family law issues that can be modified. You may modify:

  • Child Custody
    • If either a parent or child experiences changes in their lives and the current custody agreement no longer works, it can be modified. 
  • Child Support
    • If a person owes their former spouse child support payments and their financial situation changes, either party may request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.
  • Spousal Maintenance
    • If one former-spouse experiences any changes in their financial or personal situation, they can request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.

How Can I Obtain a Post-Judgment Modification? 

It can be difficult to obtain a post-judgment modification. In order to obtain a modification, you will have to prove to the court that a significant change has occurred and a modification is necessary. This can be difficult to do, so it is generally best to work with an experienced family law attorney.

What Calls for a Modification?

You may be wondering what situations may make a modification necessary. A post-judgment modification may be necessary under the following circumstances:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support 
  • A child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  • Either party begins living with another person and no longer needs spousal support
  • If the child’s schedule changes, current custody, parenting, and visitation arrangements may no longer work and need to be adjusted
  • If either former spouse receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., a change in the spousal or child support payment amount may be needed
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change.

Contact our firm today to speak with a skilled and dedicated attorney regarding post-judgment modifications and any other family law issues you may have.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.