When you get divorced through a New York court, it is possible that you will not agree with the decisions the judge makes. In this case, you may be able to file an appeal. NYcourts.gov defines an appeal as “a procedure by which a party who has been adversely affected by what he or she believes to have been an error or mistake by a judge of the Family Court may seek to have that order overturned in a higher court.” Essentially, if you are unhappy with a decision made by a judge, you can attempt to overturn or modify this decision. Read on to learn more about the process in New York.

What Matters Can be Appealed?

You can file an appeal when it comes to almost any family law issue. This may include matters of child custody, child support, spousal support, division of assets, and more.

How Long do I Have to File an Appeal?

When it comes to filing an appeal, you should heavily consider your options. This is because the process can be a long and expensive one. You should not file an appeal until you give it a lot of thought and discuss it with an experienced attorney. That being said, if you do decide to file an appeal, you will have to act fast. Once the order has been served, you will only have 30 days to file your appeal. Our firm is here to walk you through every step of the process.

What Documents Do I Need in Order to File?

In order to file an appeal, you will need to obtain the following documents:

  • Request for Appellate Division Intervention Form (RADI)
  • Notice of Appeal
  • A copy of the order you wish to appeal
  • A receipt from the Postal Authorities of mailing to your adversary

Appealing a family law/divorce decision can be a difficult process, but it may be worth it. If you feel that a judge has abused his or her power, or made an erroneous decision, you may be able to overturn this decision. Our firm is here to help. We will advocate for you and walk you through each step of the process. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.