Child support is carefully calculated with the child’s best interest in mind. For this reason, it is not easy to make changes to your child support agreement. If you have lost your job, you may be wondering whether you have to continue paying child support. Read on for more information regarding child support and unemployment in New York.

How is Child Support Determined?

When determining child support, there are a number of factors the court will examine. Some of these factors include:

  • Your child’s age
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child will attend college or pursue higher education
  • Your yearly income
  • The child custody agreement in place
  • The number of children you have

If I Lost My Job, Can I Stop Paying Child Support?

If you have lost your job, you will still have to pay child support. You cannot stop paying child support unless stated by the court. That being said, there are options. If you have recently become unemployed, you may be able to modify the frequency and amount of child support payments.

How Do I Modify My Child Support Arrangement?

Some reasons one may able to request a child support modification include:

  • An increase or decrease in yearly income
  • A significant change in a spouse’s health, causing a spike in medical bills
  • The loss of a home
  • A change in the federal tax law
  • One of the parents lost their job
  • One of the spouses remarried

Loss of employment may constitute a modification. But, it is important to note that not all unemployment will result in modification. If you have lost your job because you quit, or you were fired due to gross negligence or criminal misbehavior, you probably won’t be able to modify your child support agreement.

If you have recently become unemployed, contact our firm to discuss your options when it comes to modifying your child support agreement. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through all of your family law matters. Do not hesitate to reach out to speak with a skilled family law attorney in New York.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.