Parents and children don’t always see eye to eye and this is especially true when it comes to things like relationships and finances. When you marry someone, you are said to be marrying the family as well. While this can form some wonderful relationships, it can also be complicated. Sometimes, parents will want their child’s fiancé to sign a prenuptial agreement. Prenups are surrounded by negative stigma and can cause a lot of tension in a relationship. So, if you and your spouse do not want a prenup, can your future in-laws force you to sign one?

What is a Prenuptial Agreement?

A prenuptial agreement is a legal document that declares how your assets will be divided in the event that your marriage ends due to death, divorce, or separation. No one wants to start a marriage planning for its end, so for this reason, prenups are highly stigmatized. But, in reality, prenups in no way indicate a future divorce. Instead, they allow couples to get uncomfortable financial conversations out of the way and leave both parties feeling safe and secure.

What Makes a Prenup Valid?

A prenuptial agreement is an important legal document, so there are some requirements that must be met in order for a prenup to be considered valid. To meet these requirements, a prenup must be:

  • In writing
  • Signed by both parties voluntarily
  • Accompanied by a full financial disclosure by both parties
  • Fair and just to both parties
  • Signed in front of a notary

Can I Be Forced to Sign a Prenup?

Because a prenup must be signed voluntarily, you cannot be forced to sign one. Signing a prenuptial agreement due to manipulation, coercion, or duress makes the document invalid in the eyes of the law. If you and your in-laws do not see eye to eye when it comes to prenuptial agreements, speak with a knowledgeable family law attorney to discuss your options.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding prenuptial agreements in New York, contact our firm today to speak with a skilled attorney. We are here to walk through all of your family law matters and act as your advocate.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.