When parents get divorced, their children are often the ones who feel the most serious repercussions. When a custody arrangement has been made, there are often cases in which the noncustodial parent’s side of the family no longer gets to see the child very often, if at all. Many relatives such as grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles wonder if they will ever be able to spend meaningful time with the children impacted by divorce again. This is also applicable in situations where one parent was awarded sole custody of the child and the other parent is in jeopardy of losing parental rights.

One way that some relatives can try to fight against this is through an Order for Visitation. Only certain relatives are eligible to request an order for visitation, including parents, grandparents, siblings, and step-siblings. Unfortunately, other family members such as aunts, uncles, and cousins are not eligible to request visitation rights, regardless of how close they are to the child.

In order for relatives to obtain an order for visitation, they must be able to prove that the custodial parent is not acting in the best interests of the child because they are withholding access to relationships with family. If you have questions about requesting an order for visitation in New York, contact our firm today.

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC is an experienced divorce and family law firm located in New City, NY. Contact our firm today to discuss your legal matter and get the quality legal representation you deserve.