Adoption is an amazing opportunity for many. But, every family is different– As a result, different people will go through different methods in order to adopt a child. Read on to learn more about the various adoption options available in New York:
Types of adoption in New York:
In New York, you can adopt through the following methods:
- Domestic adoption: Generally, domestic adoption involves someone in the United States adopting a child who was born in, and lives in, the United States. This usually happens with the help of an adoption agency.
- International adoption: Sometimes referred to as intercountry adoption, this process is the adoption of a child who was born in another country.
- Step-parent adoption: If you are a step-parent and wish to adopt your stepchild, you must either obtain full permission from the child’s non-custodial parent, or the court must terminate the parental rights of his or her biological parent. This generally only happens if there is evidence of child abuse or neglect.
- Second-parent adoption: A second-parent adoption is a legal method that allows a same-sex parent to adopt his or her biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Private adoption: You may go through the private adoption process if you are adopting a child you already know, or are adopting through the child’s biological parent. In this case, you likely won’t need the help of an adoption agency.
- Adult adoption: Essentially, this is a form of adoption that exists between two or more adults. Its main purpose is to transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation.
What adoption method is best for me?
In order to determine the method of adoption to go through, it is important to speak with a family law attorney. An attorney will help you decide which method is best for your unique situation and help you complete the necessary steps to accomplish an adoption.
Our firm is here to walk you through every step of the adoption process. Reach out today to discuss your options with a skilled and experienced family law attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.