Do I Need a New York Divorce Attorney?
When spouses go through a divorce, they are required to settle many legal matters. This can prove to be very complicated, which is why it is important to have an experienced New York divorce attorney to guide you in handling them.
What Does a Divorce Attorney Do?
During divorce proceedings, an attorney plays a very important role in ensuring a spouse achieves their desired outcome of the situation. This can be done by taking on any of the following tasks:
- Assess the case to determine court jurisdiction
- Develop a strategy for advising you regarding all aspects of the divorce
- Prepare legal documents to file with the court
- Conduct discovery to obtain information from the other party
- Appear at all court appearances, depositions, and conferences
- Schedule deadlines and court appearances
- Inform you of actions you must take
- Perform financial analyses of your case
- Conduct legal research
- Prepare you for any appearances and depositions
- Prepare your case for hearings and trials
- Advise you of your rights under the law
- Counsel you about the risks and benefits that arise during your case
Will Additional Professionals Be Appointed to Work With My Attorney?
The process of divorce can often be difficult and sometimes require the assistance of professionals in other fields. This can include psychologists or psychiatrists to evaluate situations of custody or parenting. In addition to this, a forensic accountant may also be appointed to some cases in order to perform an analysis of a couple’s financial situation. This may be necessary if one spouse has their own business or a large inheritance.
Do I Need an Attorney if I’ve Been Divorced Before?
People who have gone through one or more divorces may feel as if they no longer need an attorney if they find themselves in a situation of divorce again. This may be because they feel as if they know the ins and outs of the process enough to do it on their own. However, every divorce case is different from the one before it. This depends on different factors such as the length of the marriage, if the couple has children, each spouse’s financial situation, and more. The law may also change since a spouse’s previous divorce. This is why it is more beneficial to hire a divorce attorney to handle these matters for you.
Contact our Firm
The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.