When individuals find themselves in New York’s family court because they cannot resolve matters on their own, the judge will assess the factors at hand and make a decision on the contested issue. Once an order is passed, the parties involved are legally obligated to abide by the judgment. If one party fails to do so, the other may feel as though it is necessary to request help from the court in enforcing the order. The party that is violating a court order is often causing financial harm to the other because the orders that are violated are often related to child support, child custody, or spousal maintenance.

If an individual notifies the court that their former spouse is violating an order, they will be able to request intervention through a violation petition. The court will then investigate the claims and if they do find that the accused party is willfully violating the order, they will request that they provide a valid reason for violating the order. However, if no acceptable reason is given, the individual may face significant legal problems. In some serious cases, they may even be held in contempt of court.

If you have questions about enforcing a court order, contact our firm today.

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC is an experienced divorce and family law firm located in New City, NY. It is essential to retain effective legal guidance during such pivotal times in life. Contact our firm today to discuss your legal matter and get the quality legal representation you deserve.