Domestic violence is an issue that many people struggle with. If you are a victim of domestic violence, it can feel impossible to reach out for help. Luckily, there are a number of resources. One of the most important resources is a restraining order. Read on to learn more about how to obtain a restraining order in New York.

What is Domestic Violence?

Though domestic violence is most often associated with physical abuse, there are other forms of abuse a victim may face. Victims of domestic violence may also be subjected to abuse in other forms, such as:

  • Emotional abuse
  • Controlling behavior
  • Sexual abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Isolation
  • Terrorization

How Can I Obtain Protection?

One way in which New York State assists victims of domestic abuse is through Orders of Protection also known as a restraining order. An individual can obtain an Order of Protection either through family court or criminal court. You can also go to your local police station. An Order of Protection may require the abuser to abide by the following provisions:

  • Have no communication or visits with the victim and the children
  • Leave the home
  • Surrender any firearms
  • Follow other court orders including child support and custody

What is the Process of Obtaining Protection?

If you go through family or criminal court, or you contact your local police station, you will likely be issued a temporary restraining order (TRO). A temporary restraining order will legally limit your contact with the other party. You will then have to attend a hearing where a judge will determine whether to grant a permanent restraining order. During this hearing, it is a good idea to have a skilled family law attorney to act as your advocate.  If you have any questions or concerns about obtaining an order of protection, contact our firm to speak with a skilled and empathetic attorney.

If you or a loved one is interested in obtaining a restraining order, reach out to our firm today. We are here to act as a resource for you and walk you through the process. We want to advocate for you and help make sure you and your family are kept safe. Keep in mind, there are plenty of local resources and people who will advocate for you, including our firm and our dedicated attorneys.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.