With the holiday season quickly approaching, it can be an important time to revisit your parenting plan. All parents like to spend the holiday season with their children, however, divorced parents may not have certain dates included in their agreement with the child’s co-parent. In the event that you want to spend a specific holiday with your child that is not designated in your agreement, there are steps you can take. Continue reading below and contact an experienced New York family law attorney.

What do I do if a Holiday is Not in my Custody Agreement?

If you want to spend a holiday with your child and it is not in the agreement you have with their co-parent, a good place to start is by talking about it with them. Sometimes, the other parent may be willing to exchange this parenting time for the holiday you want. However, if this does not work, it is still possible to have the parenting time agreement modified. This can be done by petitioning the court for a post-judgment modification. With this, changes can be made to the agreement as long as there has been a change in circumstances that calls for it. This can allow you to obtain parenting time on a certain date, such as a holiday.

What Else is Included in a Parenting Time Plan?

There are many other terms that are included within a parenting plan when it is created. This can include the following:

  • A designation of physical and legal custody
  • A description of the parenting arrangement
  • A description of any changes that may occur in the arrangement as well as methods to modify the plan
  • A statement delegating any parental responsibilities and rights
  • Transportation concerns to bring the child to and from each parent
  • Any concerns regarding birthdays and holidays
  • Provisions regarding traveling out of the state or country
  • A description of access to and sharing school and medical records

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.