The most important thing to parents is their children. Their biggest job is to make sure they are healthy and happy. In situations where parents are divorced, this can be somewhat more difficult to navigate. It is because of this that parenting plans exist in order to outline how two divorced parents plan to raise their child together.

In recent weeks, the outbreak of the Coronavirus has caused life to change for many people in a variety of ways. The disease has led to self-quarantines and shelter-in-place systems in order to slow down its spread. As no one was able to predict this situation, it is important to create or modify a parenting plan in order to ensure you are ready for the weeks and months ahead during this difficult time. Most cases can be settled quickly if parents are able to communicate openly with one another. However, some other cases may need the assistance of a mediator or judge. Continue reading to learn about the steps you can take to create a temporary parenting plan for the new Coronavirus outbreak:

  • Plan for the worst. No one wants to catch this virus or pass it on to their children. However, in the event that it does happen, a plan should be in place regarding where the child will stay and where the parent would be quarantined.
  • Determine places where your child can and cannot go, based on infected areas.
  • Stay educated and understand the symptoms of the virus so that you know the precautions to take and what to do should someone experience signs. This can include a runny nose, dry cough, fever, or pneumonia. 
  • Hire a mediator who can help reach agreements regarding temporary terms of child custody. Mediators are unbiased third-parties who work with spouses towards finding an outcome that both former-spouses are able to live with and is in the best interest of the child. 

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.