In New York, child support, child custody, and alimony will be carefully arranged in the event of a divorce. For this reason, it can be difficult to change the terms of these agreements. But, sometimes our lives change, and agreements that once worked do not work any longer. In a case like this, you may need to request a modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New York.

What Can be Modified in New York?

In New York, modifications can be made to divorce and family law settlements that are decided during the proceedings. This can include the following matters: 

  • Child Custody: If either a parent or child experiences changes in their lives and the current custody agreement no longer works, it can be modified. 
  • Child Support: If a person owes their former spouse child support payments and their financial situation changes, either party may request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.
  • Spousal Maintenance: If one former-spouse experiences any changes in their financial or personal situation, they can request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.

What Circumstances Call for a Modification? 

There are various circumstances that may call for a modification to your divorce agreement. In order to modify your arrangements, you will have to provide proof that the change is necessary. In order to do this, you should contact an experienced family law attorney. Some of the following situations may be grounds for a modification:

  • Their child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support 
  • Their child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  • Either party begins living with another person and no longer needs spousal support
  • If the child’s schedule changes, current custody, parenting, and visitation arrangements may no longer work and need to be adjusted
  • If either former spouse receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., a change in the spousal or child support payment amount may be needed
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change.

If you need to request a post-judgment modification, contact our firm to speak with a knowledgeable attorney.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.