If you are a divorced parent, child support is most likely one of your top concerns. Fortunately, an experienced attorney can help you obtain the child support payments you and your child need to go on living life as before. However, as life changes, your financial situation changes with it. This is why it is only natural that you should need a modification to your child custody terms at some point in the months or years following your divorce. If you find yourself in this situation, please read on and speak with our experienced, compassionate firm to learn more about requesting a child support modification. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do courts decide the terms of my child support?

Courts consider several factors when deciding your child support terms, with the ultimate goal in mind of mitigating the financial impact of your divorce on your child. Some of the most commonly-considered factors when determining child support are as follows:

  • Your child’s age
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child will attend college or pursue higher education
  • Your yearly income
  • The child custody agreement in place
  • The number of children you have

What justifies requesting a child support modification?

There are several perfectly understandable reasons a parent will request a child support modification. Sometimes, parents feel their former spouse no longer needs their financial support, or, on the other hand, some parents feel as though they need more financial support due to a significant change in circumstances. Some of the reasons a former spouse may request a child support modification are as follows:

  • An increase or decrease in yearly income
  • A significant change in a spouse’s health, causing a spike in medical bills
  • The loss of a home
  • A change in the federal tax law
  • One of the parents lost their job
  • One of the spouses remarried

How do I modify child support terms?

To modify the terms of your child support, you will first have to hire an experienced attorney. From here, you will have to file a motion to request a modification, and your attorney will establish and present various types of evidence to prove that you truly require a modification to your child support agreement. If you and your child require an adjustment, do not wait. Reach out to our compassionate firm today.

Contact our experienced New York firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC is an experienced divorce and family law firm located in New City, NY. It is essential to retain effective legal guidance during such pivotal times in life. Contact our firm today to discuss your legal matter and get the quality legal representation you deserve.