One of the nicest things a family can do is adopt a child in need. Children need parental figures, and by adopting a child, you give him or her a second chance at life knowing he or she has parents who support him. Because of the nature of such an impactful decision, the adoption process can be quite complicated. If you are considering adopting a child, then you may be asking yourself about the best means to do so. Here are the various types of adoption explained:
- Domestic adoption: Domestic adoption essentially entails the placement of United States-born infants for adoption by their birth parents, who legally consent to the adoption with an adoptive family of their choice.
- International adoption: Sometimes referred to as intercountry adoption, this process is the adoption of a child who was born in another country.
- Step-parent adoption: If you are a step-parent and wish to adopt your stepchild, you must either get full permission from the child’s non-custodial parent, or the court must terminate the parental rights of his or her biological parent. This generally only happens if there is evidence of child abuse or neglect.
- Private adoption: You may go through the private adoption process if you are adopting a child you already know, or are adopting through the child’s biological parent. Generally, you will not have to go through an adoption agency to acquire your adoptive child in this case.
- LGBT adoption: If you are a member of the LGBT community and wish to adopt a child, this is generally the route you will take. However, it is important to note that not every state allows LGBT adoption at this point.
- Second-parent adoption: A second-parent adoption is a legal procedure that allows a same-sex parent to adopt his or her biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent. However, not every state allows this as well, though it is legal in New York State.
- Adult adoption: Essentially, this is a form of adoption that exists between two or more adults. Its main purpose is to transfer inheritance rights and/or filiation.
Contact our New York firm
If you wish to adopt a child, it is extremely important that you hire an experienced and trustworthy attorney first. An experienced attorney will ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible. A quick, clean process is usually in everybody’s best interest.
The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC is an experienced divorce and family law firm located in New City, NY. It is essential to retain effective legal guidance during such pivotal times in life. Contact our firm today to discuss your legal matter and get the quality legal representation you deserve.