When divorcing, you will need to agree with your ex on a child custody agreement. If an agreement cannot be reached, the courts will step in. When this is the case, one parent may reach unfavorable terms regarding the time they are permitted to spend with their child. Co-parenting is never easy. However, it becomes even more difficult when one parent does not comply with the parenting schedule. If your ex is not following a court-ordered parenting schedule, it is in your best interest to contact a trusted Rockland County Child Visitation Attorney who can guide you on the necessary steps to enforce your agreement and protect your rights. Keep reading to learn what steps to take if your ex does not comply with your parenting schedule.

What do I do if my ex doesn’t follow our parenting schedule?

Oftentimes, recently divorced individuals wonder whether parenting schedules are legally binding. Parenting schedules are intended to provide parents with scheduled times to spend time with their children. Once the court approves a proposed schedule it becomes legally binding. Therefore, both parents must adhere to the schedule.

In some cases, one parent may feel they got a raw deal where they were granted less visitation time than they wanted. When this is the case, they may purposely ignore the court-ordered parenting schedule in retaliation. However, despite the fact they do not agree with the parenting schedule, they are legally required to adhere to it. Although you may be tempted to refuse to send your child to see your ex, you must refrain from doing so as you are also legally required to adhere to the parenting schedule regardless of whether your ex is not complying with it.

If your ex doesn’t follow the parenting time schedule, you should document every occasion when it isn’t honored. The court will require you to provide them with sufficient evidence that your ex is not complying with the parenting schedule before they take any action. From here, you should contact your attorney. They will be able to help you take the necessary steps to ensure the best interests of your child are prioritized. In some cases, you can benefit from having your attorney send your ex a letter encouraging them to treat your complaints more seriously. If this does not work you can file a contempt action. This petition can be filed when an individual violates a court order. The court is entitled to enforce penalties to resolve the issue.

If your ex is not complying with your parenting schedule, contact a determined Rockland County child visitation attorney. The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC has years of experience fighting for parents to protect their rights. Allow our firm to represent your interests today.