As COVID-19 vaccines continue to roll out, many parents are facing the decision about whether or not to vaccinate their children against the virus. But, for co-parents who cannot come to an agreement about the vaccines, things may be even more complicated. If you and your ex-spouse cannot agree about whether to vaccinate your children, you may need to help of a dedicated family law attorney. Read on to learn more.

What is Legal Custody?

Legal custody refers to a parent’s legal right to make important decisions in the lives of their children. This may include decisions regarding healthcare, religion, education, and more.

What if I Have Sole Legal Custody?

If you have sole legal custody, you have the power to decide whether to vaccinate your child.

What if I Have Joint Legal Custody?

If you share legal custody of your child, things can get more complicated. In this case, you and your ex-spouse will have to agree upon the decision to vaccinate your child against COVID-19. If you are in disagreement, the first step you should take is speaking with your child’s pediatrician. This will help you make a fully informed decision. If you still cannot agree, the objecting parent can request mediation. Mediation involves a neutral third party helping you and your ex-spouse work through the matters at hand. If you still cannot agree, you may need to involve a New York family court. In this case, the court will work to make the decision that is in your child’s best interests. It is best to retain the help of an experienced family law attorney who can advocate for you and your child.

If you and your ex-spouse co-parent and cannot agree upon vaccinating your child, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with a skilled and dedicated family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.