When two people have a child together and later end their relationship, child support will have to be determined. Child support laws differ by state. As a result, it is important to understand the laws in your state. Read on to learn more about child support in New York.

How is Child Support Determined?

New York State has a uniform system in place to accurately calculate appropriate child support terms in the event of a divorce. This is known as the Child  Support Standards Act. When the combined parental incomes exceed $143,000, it is at the court’s discretion to apply the child support percentages as follows:

  • One child- 17%
  • Two children- 25%
  • Three children- 29%
  • Four children- 31%
  • Five or more children- at least 35%

In addition to the formula in place, the court may also take into account:

  • Your child’s age
  • Whether your child has any special needs
  • Whether your child will attend college or pursue higher education
  • Your yearly income
  • The child custody agreement in place
  • The number of children you have

Can Child Support be Modified?

Child support is carefully calculated, so it is not always easy to modify. That being said, you may be able to modify your arrangement in the event that a major unexpected change occurs. Some examples that may justify a modification include:

  • An increase or decrease in yearly income
  • A significant change in a spouse’s health, causing a spike in medical bills
  • The loss of a home
  • A change in the federal tax law
  • One of the parents lost their job
  • One of the spouses remarried

When does child support end?

Child support payments are required throughout the child’s life and end when they reach the age of emancipation. In the state of New York, this age is generally 21 years old. That being said, child support can be terminated early, or extended past 21, depending on the situation. For example, if your child intends to pursue higher education, child support payments may be extended. 

What if My Child’s Parent is Not Paying Court-Ordered Child Support

If your child’s parent is not making the court-ordered child support payments, you should reach out to an experienced family law attorney for more information regarding child support enforcement.

If you have any more questions or concerns regarding child support in New York, contact our firm today.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.