When it comes to divorce, you likely have a lot of questions. Some of the most commonly asked questions are about child support, how it works, and when it can be terminated. Read on to learn more about child support in New York.

A General Overview of Child Support in New York

In New York, there are two types of custody: physical custody and legal custody. When a parent has physical custody of their child, they are known as the custodial parent. This parent has the child for more nights of the week. As a result, this parent is mainly responsible for providing the child with a home, clothing, food, education, and other necessities. These costs can often add up and become too expensive for one parent to handle on their own. In New York, both parents have a legal responsibility to support their children financially. This is why the non-custodial parent owes child support payments for assistance. The goal of child support is to ensure that the child’s standard of living is the same as- or better than- before the divorce. These payments help balance out the child’s cost of living so that it is not only on the shoulders of the custodial parent.

When Can Child Support End?

These payments are required throughout the child’s life and can end when they reach the age of emancipation. In the state of New York, this age is generally 21 years old. But, the payments do not always end at 21-years-old. In some cases, child support may be extended past the age of 21. This may occur if the child decides to pursue higher education, among other circumstances. On the other hand, in certain situations, child support can be terminated before the age of emancipation. If a child is over the age of 18 and a parent believes that the child can support themselves, the parent may petition the court to end support payments. If the court approves of this motion, child support payments can end. But, until a New York court declares that child support payments can end, these payments must continue.

If you have any questions or concerns about child support in New York, contact our firm today.

Contact our Firm

The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.