Why Do I Need a New York Divorce Attorney?
Divorcing your spouse brings about numerous different changes in your life. This is because a variety of marital issues come into question, such as child custody, child support, the division of assets, alimony, and more. These important matters should be treated with the utmost care. It is because of this that a skilled and compassionate New York divorce attorney should be retained to assist the case.
Why Do I Need an Attorney?
When a divorce happens, it tends to become the focus of a person’s life, resulting in many conversations about the topic. Oftentimes, people like to give their advice and opinions on the matter, insisting that they know what is best for you and your case. However, they usually do not know all of the facts, and if they do, they lack the proper experience necessary to guide you. The only person that can be trusted to provide legal advice and support throughout this difficult time in your life is an attorney. With clear communication, an attorney can help you find and achieve the best possible outcome of the situation.
What Can an Attorney do For me?
There are many factors to consider and things to take care of during divorce proceedings. This can often become overwhelming, which is why it is helpful to have an attorney to take care of these tasks. This can include the following:
- Assess the case to determine which court has jurisdiction on the matter
- Develop a strategy to advise clients about all aspects of the case, including the treatment of assets and child matters
- Prepare legal documents to file with the court
- Conduct discovery to obtain information from the other party (depositions, requests for production of documents, written interrogatories, etc.)
- Appear at all court appearances, depositions, and conferences
- Schedule all deadlines and court appearances
- Support clients in responding to information requests
- Inform clients of actions they are required to take
- Perform financial analyses of the case
- Conduct the necessary legal research
- Prepare clients for all court appearances and depositions
- Prepare the case for hearings and trial, including preparing exhibits and interviewing witnesses
- Advise clients about their rights under the law
- Counsel clients about the risks and benefits of negotiated settlement compared to trial
Contact our Firm
The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC understands the harsh implications of relocation can have on a child and his or her parents. When you have a contested relocation matter, it is important to have an experienced attorney to represent you in court. If you are faced with a relocation matter in Rockland County, contact The Law Office of Peter L. Jameson, PLLC today to schedule a consultation.